+ Who can volunteer with IHA?
You can apply if you're passionate about our cause, motivated to work in a challenging environment and...
- are at least 18 years old
- are able to come to Greece for at least one month
- are physically and mentally healthy
- agree with our Code of Conduct
- can provide a background check / criminal record certificate (or equivalent)
+ What is the application procedure?
- To start, please complete the application form below. We’ll get in touch with you via email. If we have a spot on the team and believe you might be a good fit, we’ll send you more information and arrange an interview.
+ When should I apply?
- You can apply at any time. However, please understand that we’re able to fully confirm only 6 to 12 weeks prior to arrival.
- You can apply on short notice but chances are that there won’t be an open spot
+ Can I apply for a specific role?
- Regular applications are for a general volunteering role, carrying out diverse tasks from sorting clothes in the warehouse to serving customers in the free shop.
- Some of our long-term volunteers have dedicated roles (e.g. teaching English classes) that require specific skills, experience and a longer stay. We open applications for these positions whenever there’s a vacancy.
- If you apply as a general volunteer but might be a fit for a specific position, we’ll suggest it during the application process.
+ What training and support will I receive?
We’re cooperating with the German organisation Brückenwind, offering preparation seminars, on-site support and debriefing seminars. Our volunteer coordinator will tell you more about it during the application process.
+ Where will I live?
- We have a volunteer flat outside of Thessaloniki that provides communal accommodation for around 10 people. It has three bedrooms, a living room, two bathrooms, a small kitchen and a balcony. The flat is easily accessible from the city centre with public transport.
+ What do I have to pay for?
- Your travels to and from Greece.
- Food and personal expenses. Our team usually organises communal grocery shopping and cooks together to keep expenses as low as possible.
- A one-off contribution towards expenses of 150€ for accommodation and utilities.
+ Can I bring donations?
- Bringing donations on a flight is usually not efficient unless it’s very specific and urgently needed items. You can check with our coordinator a few weeks prior to arrival if there’s anything you could bring.
- Monetary donations are extremely valuable as they can be spent flexibly. Fundraising with friends and family is a great idea and big help to keep our projects running. You can create a personal fundraising campaign on our facebook page or on our website. We’d be happy to assist you: firstname.lastname@example.org